July 22, 2014

INTOLERANCE, HOMOPHOBIA, AND DISCRIMINATION ARE INACCEPTABLE. PLEASE SIGN THIS PETITION ON CHANGE.ORG NOW! SYLVIA LYDIA MORELOS


 
Release Vikings' complete discrimination investigation report to the public

This petition will be delivered to: Minnesota Vikings Principal Owner Zygi Wilf
 
Zygi Wilf
 

Release Vikings' complete discrimination investigation report to the public

  1. Petition by Chris Kluwe
    
 
My name is Chris Kluwe, and I was a punter for the NFL's Minnesota Vikings for eight years. During this time, I was so fortunate to have a unique platform to advocate for something that I am passionate about: advancing gay rights in the United States. I was - and continue to be - vocal in my support of the LGBT community, but not everyone agrees with my stance.

And that’s OK. I don’t expect everyone to agree with my views. But what I do expect is respect and fairness. Sadly, a few of my superiors at the Vikings did not share that perspective.

I believe my public support for LGBT rights cost me my job. The organization said it has investigated this claim, but it hasn’t publicly released the full investigation report yet, which it had promised to do. That's why I'm asking you to sign this petition, and urge the Vikings to make the entire investigation findings public.
During the 2012 NFL season, I faced discriminatory remarks from my coach. He often made homophobic and offensive remarks that were completely disrespectful to me and the LGBT community. Other team leaders looked the other way. Despite these challenges, I focused on being a great punter for the team, and my season’s performance was largely consistent with my career averages, which remain the best in Vikings’ history.

In May 2013, however, the team’s management supposedly wanted to explore other options so I was released. But I don’t buy that argument. I believe that I was fired from my job because of discrimination. I made a public announcement of these claims in January, and the Vikings initiated an independent investigation into my claims.

Now that the six-month investigation is complete, the team does not want to make the complete findings public. Why? Is the organization hiding something? I believe the Vikings should be fully transparent so that the Minneapolis community, Vikings fans and the nation can hold the team accountable for what happened here.

Please sign this petition so that we can tell the team and the world that permitting this kind of behavior is unacceptable. We won’t stand for workplace discrimination and homophobia.

And if we are successful together, I will donate any and all settlement gains to LGBT organizations so that they can continue gay rights awareness, education and activism.
 
To:
Zygi Wilf, Minnesota Vikings Principal Owner
Please stand against workplace discrimination and stand for LGBT rights by releasing the complete results of your organization's recent discrimination investigation to the public.
Sincerely,
[Your name]
 

News

  1. Reached 15,000 signatures

       

     
     
     
     

    No comments: